Man took overdose a day after hospital
Published Date: 12 August 2009
A MAN died from a fatal overdose less than 24 hours after being released from hospital, an inquest heard.
Philip John Bromley, of Handsworth Road in North Shore, was found on his kitchen floor by his daughter on the morning of July 29, 2007.
An ambulance was called, but paramedics could not save the 40-year-old former civil servant.
Blackpool Coroner’s Court was told the previous day he had taken anoverdose of blue tablets – later revealed to be benzodiazepines he had bought on the street – crushed up into a drink.
His daughter had called an ambulance after finding him seeming like he was drunk, “slurring” and with blue staining on his lips.
He was discharged from hospital later that night.
The locum doctor who treated him had told the inquest Mr Bromley, who suffered mental health problems and was under the crisis team from Lancashire Care Trust, said his observations, clinical condition and blood samples were normal.
Mr Bromley was seen by the mental health night practitioner at the hospital, who stated in a report about the incident he had assessed Mr Bromley and although he indicated he had on-going difficulties, he denied any suicidal intent.
Consultant pathologist Dr Dariusz Golka said the cause of death was overdose of the anti-depressant citalopram.
Coroner Anne Hind said she could only record the verdict Mr Bromley took his own life. She said: “It is very concerning how easily available such drugs are.”
The full article contains 251 words and appears in n/a newspaper.
Page 1 of 1
- Last Updated: 12 August 2009 9:47 AM
- Source: n/a
- Location: Blackpool
493 total views, 3 views today