“People often dismiss patient reports forgetting that peer reviewed research is NOT what causes drugs to be pulled from the market. Its purpose is to get drugs approved, not removed.
What got Thalidomide removed from the market? It was the cases of missing arms and legs of the babies born to the mothers of those who took the drug.
This statement on the importance of anecdotal evidence as opposed to peer reviewed double blind studies is from Dr. Johnathan Cole, MD who is considered to be the father of Psychopharmacology:
“The real world is not perfect. Drugs can and do cause adverse effects which can resemble the manifestations of the illness and arguments about the causes and nature of these adverse events, including suicides, must rest on case reports [anecdotal evidence] and data collected in small studies for other purposes. . . If some cases stand out strikingly, there are logically others where the adverse effect is more subtle.”
. . . Dr. Jonathan Cole, MD
- “Ann Blake-Tracy HAS BOLDY GONE WHERE FEW DARE TO TREAD!”…”BEST REFERENCE FOR ANTIDEPRESSANTS”…”BOLD & INFORMATIVE”… “PRICELESS”… “WELL DOCUMENTED”… “SCIENTIFICALLY RESEARCHED”… “WONDERFUL BOOK”
- 10/31/2002 • Ethyl-Eicosapentaenoate Could Be Effective In Persistent Depression
- 11/11/2002 • Genes play a part, but violence may be viral
- 11/12/2001 Prozac triggers increase in aggression in mice
- 11/5/2002 • Adolescent Drug Use Creates Long-Term Imbalance
- 12/3/2001 • STUDIES ON RITALIN ARE CHILD ABUSE
- 1996 – Mutant Mice May Hold Key To Human Violence – An Excess Of Serotonin.
- 2/13/2002 • Psychiatrists shift the mood on antidepressants
- 2/17/1997 • Correlated reductions in cerebrospinal fluid 5-HIAA and MHPG concentrations after treatment with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
- 2/28/2002 • Antidepressant drug trials turn away most of the depressed population
- 2/6/2002 • Scientists Find Little, If Any, Proof Ritalin Is Effective
- 2/7/2002 • Scandal of scientists who take money for papers ghostwritten by drug companies
- 3/15/2002 • Rare Neurologic Syndrome Linked to Antidepressant
- 3/26/2002 • Scientists find Prozac ‘link’ to brain tumours
- 4/10/2002 • Effect of Hypericum perforatum (St John's Wort) in Major Depressive Disorder
- 4/15/1993 • Cerebrospinal fluid monoamine metabolites in fluoxetine-treated patients with major depression and in healthy volunteers.
- 4/9/2002 • Sugar pills offer more relief than St. John’s wort, Zoloft
- 5/1/2002 • Timing of New Black Box Warnings and Withdrawals for Prescription Medications
- 5/17/1975 • Fenfluramine in man: hypophagia associated with diminished serotonin turnover.
- 6/1/1999 • Fluoxetine treatment of depression. Clinical effects, drug concentrations and monoamine metabolites and N-terminally extended substance P in cerebrospinal fluid.
- 6/10/2001 • SSRI treatment suppresses dream recall frequency but increases subjective dream intensity in normal subjects.
- 7/23/1996 • Effect of acute and chronic fluoxetine on extracellular dopamine levels in the caudate-putamen and nucleus accumbens of rat.
- 8/21/2003 • Research challenges role of antidepressants
- 8/8/1999 • Antidepressant discontinuation-related mania: critical prospective observation and theoretical implications in bipolar disorder.
- 9/1/1998 • Prenatal Exposure to Fluoxetine (Prozac) Produces Site-Specific and Age-Dependent Alterations in Brain Serotonin Transporters in Rat Progeny: Evidence from Autoradiographic Studies
- 9/1/1999 • Persistently increased density of serotonin transporters in the frontal cortex of rats treated with fluoxetine during early juvenile life
- 9/1/2003 • A Systematic Chart Review of the Nature of Psychiatric Adverse Events in
- 9/25/2000 – FDA – “Safety For Sale” – USA Today
- BAN ON DRIVING FOR ANTIDEPRESSANT USERS? STUDY INDICATES 70% INCREASED RISK OF ACCIDENTS
- CELEXA: Youth in India Dies During Clinical Trial
- Chemical Warfare in Syria? Or the United States?
- DEPRESSION TREATMENT SAFE FOR ALZHEIMER’S PATIENTS????
- FDA WARNS: DEPAKOTE (VALPROATE ACID) PRODUCES LOWER IQ IN OFFSPRING
- FISH ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS … ANXIOUS, ANTI-SOCIAL, AGGRESSIVE, HOMICIDAL
- HARVARD EXPERTS: The Myth of Safe & Effective Drugs: Why The FDA Cannot Be Trusted
- Kauffman Study – (SSRI) Drugs: More Risks Than Benefits?
- Meet Dr. John Virapen – The Man Who BOUGHT Prozac’s Approval
- New Research: Traumatic brain injuries [or antidepressants?] linked to higher military suicide rates
- NEW STUDY: MORE FRUIT, MORE VEGGIES, MORE HAPPY
- NY TIMES: Antidepressant Paxil Is Unsafe for Teenagers, New Analysis Says
- PLACEBO PERFORMS AS WELL AS ANTIDEPRESSANT IN TREATING DEPRESSION
- REVIEW OF 7000 STUDIES: PROCESSED MEATS TOO DANGEROUS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION!!!!!!
- SSRI Medications
- Study Links Older Bipolar Drug to Fewer Suicides
- Study Links Older Bipolar Drug to Fewer Suicides
- STUDY: 75% OF THOSE TAKING ANTIPSYCHOTIC MEDS SHOW LOSS OF BRAIN MATTER!
- STUDY: Paxil Offers Little Benefit Over Placebo in Depression or Anxiety
- STUDY: TAKING ANTIDEPRESSANTS NEARLY DOUBLES YOUR CHANCE OF RELAPSE
17,840 total views, 1 views today